Thursday, September 30, 2010

Jacked on Espresso y chianti

So I got up at 2 and then 5 am so if you wonder why I was facebooking like I was in the US this am - I waited about another 5 hours before waking Andrea and then I said f-ck it and woke her. At that point I was jacked on two bilettis worth of Illy espresso, had eaten an ameretto cookie and busted into our Argentine parma breakfast not waiting.

I must regress and say, we are staying in the rather chic joven area of Campo de Fiori in an amazing apartment found in www.sleepinitaly.com, which I highly recommend. An apartment is the way to go - I mean one 1,000 sq. feet, complete kitchen, internet, couch, table for 6, nice American style shower with rain head! And cheap! I looked at hotels that were dumps for 200 Euro - hello 110 Euro for the apartment.

So after a late start, we walked to the Capitol. Rome is quite clean considering how awfully dirty my mom said it was back in the day, but then it impossible to find trash cans yet there seem to be trash trucks starting you in the face for a half-hour while you eat.

We continued onto the Colloseum. We decided to do the tour for an extra 8 euro and it was worth it so I give Andrea much credit for that. I was amazed at a lot of things. One, how they filled it with water and like had battle ships and shit on it. Two, I read in Rick Steve's that one 100 day ceremony they killed like 9,000 animals and like 900 people perhaps and people brought perfume to cover the stench (I know who is saying "RAD" right now btw). Three, so I thought of passover and how they brought all the Jews in to build the damn thing and how I hate the Passover horse radish that I am forgetting the name of that is supposed to remind you of the tears the Jews shed under the persecution of the Romans. Man, after seeing how that monstrosity was built...I suddenly felt a lot better about my day job.

We then walked through the incredible Roman ruins which just seemed so tranquil. The entire forum its almost like the cars, hub-bub of city and pollution were non-existent if but only for a few hours and 300 photographs worth.

Not so keen that we walked to try to find some osteria two chefs recommended to us. We got there as it was closing and had only the second dish, but ok the tira mi us - kicked ass! And 'picked me up' which is the literal translation of tira mi su.

Finally, I have to admit, I have a problem. So does Anne, my Croat partner in crime, a total weakness for PAPRIKA pringles. So far my list consists of Illy coffee for a third the price of Amerika and PAPRIKA PRINGLES. The question is can two of the cans make it to 1) Anne's bday on 23 Oct and 2) my bday on 5 Jan. I just ate 3/4 of a can?!? You do the math.

No comments:

Post a Comment